Wednesday, June 13, 2018

National Parks OBSESSED

How it all started...



My name is Krista and I am a 2nd grade teacher. I have been married to my husband Sam now for almost 4 years. We live in Wisconsin and we have 2 dogs, Ollie and Scooter, that we consider our children! Ever since we got married we have enjoyed traveling together and year 2 into our marriage we became, what I like to call, National Parks OBSESSED! And now, every vacation we go on has a theme...can you guess it? Yup...they all revolve around exploring National Parks! 

It all started on our first real vacation out west to none other than the unique Yellowstone National Park. One day there and you could say we caught the National Park bug and we haven't stopped since! Of course we explore more than National Parks, but every vacation we go on our main destination is to a National Park we can hike, explore, and become enchanted by this beautiful world God created! 

While Sam loves the travel aspect of our trips, he hates planning them. Fortunately, I love the planning process and figuring out every detail of our trip before we go. Usually we are trying to cram as much as we can into a 10 day time frame, so it helps for me to know what we are doing, or at least have a menu of options, before we go. This however can take hours! I research blogs, TripAdvisor (PAGES on PAGES of TripAdvisor), travel websites, anything that will give me insight to the best way to go about the trip. By the time we actually go, I know the names of each hike and the pros, cons, and secrets to each thing we are about to see and explore. While on our adventures, I write down what worked, what didn't, things I wished I'd have had, things I didn't need, etc. so I know for next time or for anyone who needs advice should they decide to go. 

Because of this excessive planning, I often have people asking me for my itinerary when they decide to trek out on similar adventures. I love sharing my itineraries with people, as I actually enjoy the planning piece of our adventures. Hopefully by reading this, your adventure planning will be easier and who knows, it might even become a little bit more enjoyable!

Places We've Explored


Trip Out West: Badlands National Park, Black Hills South Dakota, Custer State Park, Yellowstone National Park, Devil's Tower, Jewel Cave National Monument, and Mount Rushmore

The Grand Loop: Breckenridge Colorado, Arches National Park, Zion National Park, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Grand Canyon National Park

The Canadian Rockies: Banff National Park, Yoho National Park, and Jasper National Park

Coming Soon - August 2018 - Lake Tahoe, Orcas Island, Mount Rainier National Park

Warning!


Our adventures are not exactly what I'd call a relaxing vacation. They are hiking intensive, involve a lot of mountains, and will ensure that you will sleep VERY well each night, due to sore feet and pure exhaustion! If relaxation and beaches are more your calling, hey I understand, feel free to stop reading now! That being said, I will admit I was not a hiker (ask anyone who knows me), I am scared of heights (my poor husband ha), and I didn't know there were shoes specifically designed for hiking (I figured tennis shoes would suffice) and yet here I am now a lover of hiking, I own actual hiking boots, and I am even a little better with heights! So trust me when I say these adventures are for EVERYONE and they are the most rewarding way to experience the beauty and remarkable places our world has to offer! So jump on board and check out some of these National Parks! 



No comments:

Post a Comment